We will be interested in a series of posts to try to define what is required of an AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) in order to reach the level of superintelligence in MT (machine translation). (All this is highly speculative, but we shall give it a try.)One of the difficulties that arise in machine translation relates […]
Here is a short follow-up to the ‘issue of pair reversal’ regarding language pairs. It seems some 90% could be achieved in this reversal process. What is lacking here is an adequate handling of disambiguation. Let us focus on one example. For it is patent in the above example, where Italian ‘venti’ is ambiguous between […]
Let us consider superintelligence with regard to machine translation. To fix ideas, we can propose a rough definition: it consists of a machine with the ability to translate with 99% (or above) accuracy from one of the 8000 languages to another. It seems relevant here to mention the present 8000 human languages, including some 4000 […]
It is kind of a minor breakthrough. The translation of French ‘en même temps que’ (at the same time as) is somewhat hard, in that it can take two different forms: either à tempu à or à tempu ch’è, depending on the context. The above examples tackle this sort of difficulty (although not exhaustively).
There exists priority translation pairs, from the standpoint of endangered languages. Such notion of a priority pair (the most useful pair for the current users of the endangered language), regarding a given endangered language. For example, French to Corsican is a priority pair, with respect to other pairs suchas Gallurese-Corsican, English-Corsican or Spanish-Corsican. In this […]
There is an ongoing debate on whether AI software should go open source or not (for example Bostrom’s paper Strategic Implications of Openness in AI Development). Now our current concern is of whether MT software should go open source or not. Prima facie, for safety reasons, it would be better to render public MT code, […]
To begin with, let us state the 1% problem, for machine translation: it seems some 99% accuracy in machine translation could be attainable but the remaining 1% (1% is just a given number, somewhat arbitrarily chosen, but useful to to fix ideas) may be hard of even very hard to reach. Now a question arises: […]